There is not one right way to help your child prepare for college or complete the college application process. Like all things in parenting, this too will depend on the individual child. However, even though some students are going to need much more assistance than others, they will all benefit from your involvement.
Here is a list of important roles that you can play as a parent/guardian:
- Encourage your student to get involved in extracurricular activities that match their interests and hobbies
- Support your child in fulfilling academic requirements and succeeding in school
- Help them seek out leadership roles
- Preparing for and signing up for standardized tests (SAT/ACT)
- Get an early start on researching college options, setup college visits
- Assist them in keeping track of deadlines and important dates
- Proofread and edit essays
- Provide as much financial support as you can
- Be your child's cheerleader and help them find the best college "fit"
Resources for Parents: